Search This Blog

Monday 30 May 2011

Thor - Film Review


Thor – Film Review



I have been looking forward to this review for God knows how long! I am definitely in my element with this one, so advanced warning for some pure unadulterated geekyness! I’ll start with a little insight into Thor. He is the Norse God of Thunder as many people will know from mythology. Marvel have kept this true to the character, as well as all other attributes along with him. This film boasts some stunning visual effects, especially Asgard, the home of the Gods. I saw the film in 3D and I would highly recommend viewing this format. I’ve heard that the 2D version offers better colour, which is true to any 2D film as you are not wearing dark glasses over your eyes.

So let’s get down to it. The plot of the film is that Thor, the son of Odin, is cast out of Asgard after seeking vengeance over the Frost Giants. This is against the command of Odin, hence the banishment. With Thor now stuck on Earth, or Midgard as it is known to the Asgardians, Thor’s evil brother Loki sees the perfect opportunity to strike at the heart of Asgard and become ruler. He does this by opening up Asgard to the Frost Giants, thus defying Heimdall the Gatekeeper. (His job is to control the one way in and out of Asgard) Now, Thor’s friends catch wind of what is happening, and set off to find Thor on Earth and inform him of what’s going on. And so the fun starts.

There are some quite comical moments, which is something Marvel do very well I feel. One of the stand out ones is when Thor is in a cafe on Earth having a drink. He likes it so much he throws the mug on the floor and demands more. There is something quite family friendly with Marvel, which is why I think it strikes a chord with many people, and why it’s so popular. I’m not afraid to say, I want a Mjölnir!

I have to tip my hat to Chris Hemsworthon this one; he did a brilliant job playing the God of Thunder. The fact that he came from Neighbours, and is now playing one of their most iconic characters is a pretty big achievement! I also have to praise the wardrobe department on this film. The costumes were spot on for all the characters, and reminded me a lot of the original 60’s cartoon. Always good to keep the fans happy, don’t you agree? (Talking of the fans, some of you will have noticed the subtle nod to the cartoon, in the form of Jane Foster’s (Natalie Portman) ex boyfriend, being called Donald Blake. This was Thor’s mortal alter-ego on Earth.)

Speaking of Natalie Portman, she didn’t really make a big impression in my eyes. I think after watching the masterpiece that is Black Swan, she has a lot to live up to, and sadly this performance couldn’t hold a candle to it (fair enough it’s 2 completely separate roles, but still) The casting of Anthony Hopkins as Thor was spot on, as well as Tom Hiddleston playing the part of Loki.

I think my only major criticism for this film is the part of Loki. I would have liked to have seen his more mischievous side, like in the comics, more specifically his sorcery. This was a big part of his character and I feel it should have been used to the film’s advantage. Apart from that it was an enjoyable experience, and has got me mega excited for The Avengers next year. Overall I would give the film 4 and half stars out of 5. Oh, and one more thing, stay after the credits!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment